Friday, January 05, 2007

My Sister Patty

My sister Patty passed away at her home in Dover, NH, on January 3rd, 2007, at the young age of 46 years. She fought a long, heroic battle that began with a diagnosis of breast cancer several years ago. From the very beginning, Patty remained optimistic and determined live, and she never stopped trying to make others happy. Even in her final days, she smiled and made us smile. In a typical moment just a few days ago, as she lay in her bed, frail and weak, my brother playfully busted her about something, just to lighten things up. She responded in equally playful fashion, turning her palm up and flipping him the bird, so sending us all into laughter.

Patty was a fighter, and she was often much stronger than those who came to comfort her - myself included. Last Saturday, after I had kissed her goodbye for the day and was leaving her room, she called out to me in an unwavering voice: "I love you, Bill." I was barely able to reply to her, "I love you too, Patty," and afterward I hoped that my shaken, emotional voice didn't upset her.

Like all of us, it is probably true that Patty may well have had some faults. If she did, though, I was entirely unable to find any. She had no enemies. No one disliked her, nor spoke ill of her in her absence. Her famous laugh was easily recognizable and always contagious. Patty never played a joke on anybody unless she was sure her target would laugh along, too. There was no mean in her soul.

Patty was the bravest person I have ever known, and I will miss her for the rest of my life.

- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

ADDED JANUARY 11th, 2007:
My mom created a great graphic tribute to Patty on her chat site. I've added it, below.



* *

14 Comments:

At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never have truer words been wrote about someone. Patty was truly a special person, and yes - what a laugh she had. And she will be deeply missed by all those who's lives she touched.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Mark T. Alamed said...

Bill,

I'm sorry for your loss. Take care.

Mark

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss her very, very much Bill. She touched everyone she dealt with in a wonderful way. We all cherished the time we had with Patty. She truly was a shining star.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Picture of Patty,Her laughter will be forever inbedded in my memories - Brother Bryan

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,
That was truly a beautiful tribute to Patty. She shall remain in our hearts forever.
With deep sadness, Donna Dusty
(sister in law)

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

I don't think there is any better way to say it than you did. She was an amazing person and taught me more about living life and being happy than any other person ever has. She was a great friend and will be greatly missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing her.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to all of you.

- Bill

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of the time camping in New Hampshire with your parents, all of you guys, my parents, me, tom and my girls - Patty, me, Tom and my girls were laying out on blankets in the field looking up at the stars - talking and of course, laughing a LOT, and later on Jessi, who was probably about 10 at the time said "Wow, Patty is like a... a... FRIEND" which coming from a 10 year old means she was BETTER than being just family!
That awesome laugh will be missed at the family gatherings...

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill. Your words were very true.. I will miss my daughter and her laugh, but I have all her brothers and sister to keep her close to me. I love you...Mom

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerry & Family

I am so sorry for your loss. There can be no words to desribe the pain of losing a family member and sometimes when kids go before parents, the pain is too much to bear alone.

Stick together! Make it a point to remember.

May peace be with you all.

Heather

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many a time Patty and I were dealing with a work situation,trying to figure out how the hell we were going to get something done?The seemingly impossible ,but Patty had that infectious Laugh that seemed to break the spell and made all things possible....Her presence in My life transcended work
I will miss Her dearly,I already do

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger keith said...

Hi Bill.
Yes, we will all miss Patty, but just her being the person she was will remain in our hearts and memories.Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give — which is everything and I know from experience that Patty was able to show and give that everything to everyone she had contact with.

Uncle Keith & Aunt Bobbi

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger jgordond said...

My memories of Patty will be with me forever. What a special person! We are all better to have known you!

You will be missed. Love you.

-Cousin JD

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been two weeks today that Patty left this earth, yet her spirit seems stronger than ever. It was truly a beautiful service, so many of Patty's friends and family gathered to pay their respects.The love for Patty seemed to gently blanket all of
our sorrow and sadness, at the same time rejoicing her. She gave us all special memories, she showed us courage, she left us all with a tremendous legacy.
Gerry and Donna Dusty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home