Thursday, April 10, 2008

Wordpress 2.5 Evaluation Time

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since "upgrading" to the all-new version of Wordpress, version 2.5, and I can now settle in on my overall conclusion to this latest incarnation:

IT SUCKS!

Where to begin? I'll start with the interface, which is cluttered and confusing, although with time I'll probably get used to it in time.

On the Theme design side, where once I could add plugins to either of my two sidebars in version 2.3, I can now only add plugins to one of them. Why is that?

The visual editor (WYSIWYG) still sticks. Doesn't come close to rendering the page as it would be with me doing it up in scratch HTML - which I now have reverted back to doing.

The image uploader/editor: Why in the name of The Three Stooges did the Wordpress open source folks mess with this utility? It worked just fine in all the previous versions, yet for some reason the developers saw a need to play around with it, and in so doing, they have succeeded in creating perhaps the most frustrating, ill-conceived, non-workable image uploader I have ever used. I get errors uploading and continue to be unable to transfer images into the post editor. This is all thanks to the software's all-new Flash animated uploader utility, which simply does not work.

I cannot for the life of me understand why the Wordpress folks can't just get the most basic of things - like visual editing and file uploading/transferring correct when companies such as Blogger managed to get the process down correctly years ago.

I now agonize over my decision to upgrade from Wordpress version 2.33. Editing and updating/inserting images using Wordpress 2.5 is about as pleasurable as pulling a sliver from my fingernail.

Thanks a lot, Wordpress. Please, please tell me you guys are working on fixes for the above failings for version 2.5.2

* *

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Deborah Wilson said...

Thanks for the evaluation - or -er - warning!

A few people are switching over to Wordpress. I checked them out a year or so ago, I really didn't see all the rave. So I'm sticking with Blogger.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Bill Dusty said...

Wordpress does (or rather, did) have its advantages - especially if you're planning on self-hosting with your own domain name. I just wish the developers had left the good functioning utilities alone. It's one headache after another, now.

I still have wordpress 2.3.3 in a zip file. We'll see what the future brings....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home