Thursday, March 06, 2008

"Us" and "Them"

Driving out to Holland, MA, last weekend, I was struck (figuratively speaking) by the sight of a cemetery along Route 20 that had a large landscaped shrubbery inscription reading, "Pray For Us" along its front. I thought it was a creepy sentiment, as it gave one the sense that the dead had put forward the request - despite the certain knowledge that a living grounds crew had crafted the message. It made me think of "the other side", where none return from, and how I've always thought it a little unsettling that I sometimes think of life and death as an "us" and "them" kind of thing.

Death is the final act in the story of all our lives. Most of us try to avoid our fate for as long as possible, but in the end we know that, eventually, we are going to lose the fight and become like "them".

Creepy.

~ ~

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Deborah Wilson said...

Well, I don't believe that death is the end, I believe that our spirit lives on. But no one really knows what happens, or should I say what awaits us, until we meet that final day on earth.

But I agree, that is a creepy inscription!

Pray for Us

It leaves one with the impression that all who are buried there left this life violently or sorrowfully; or they were bad in some way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home