Monday, March 05, 2007

I Need An Owner




Hello. How are you today?

Have you ever been to Springfield, Massachusetts?

How long have you lived here?

Me? I've been here for over one hundred sixty years. Yeah, that's right. When I was first built, the folks who lived here could stand on my balcony and look down to the river valley below. Unfortunately, a while back some Bad People put up a rowhouse building in front of me, spoiling the terrific view. Now you just look at lawyer offices.


See, that's me, below.




Ain't I pretty? Sure, I've seen some years go by. People who've lived here have read about the Mexican-American War, the American Civil War, the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American War -- heck, I've been around for a whole lot of wars, I tell ya. But it's been an awful long time since I had a family living in my rooms. I really miss that. It's just not the same, being alone and unwanted. You know what I mean?

I gotta be honest with ya, I'm really feeling my age. Time has not been very kind to me these past several years. I could really use a break. You know, my porch and balcony need to be completely redone. My windows.... well, let's just say you might qualify for a bulk rate discount on replacements. And that's just the outside of me. Jeesh, I could tell ya...


But I don't have to! I've got my own representative who can fill you in on all my details. See, the bank took me back, and they've got Marty's Real Estate looking after me. You can reach Marty at (413) 543-6766. Oh yeah - I'm at 83 Maple Street, Springfield, MA (at the Union Street intersection).





I know it would be a lot of work to bring me back. I'm sorry for that. But most of the houses I grew up with are all gone, now. I don't want to go away, too. I'd like to have another shot. I think I've got a few more wars in me. You know? And I think I deserve it, too.

Well, what do ya say? Can you help me out? I'd really appreciate it. Please don't let me die.

Thanks for reading about me. Come around to see me sometime!

I could use the company :-)


* *


[A follow-up to this story, with interior photos, is available HERE.]




NEW! THE ROGUE JOURNAL FORUMS

Missing Persons in New England

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Cool and cleverly written.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The slow demise of the Maple Street house has long bothered me. I remember when it was actually lived in. Your write-up would be a great front page piece for the Republican. Somebody out there must have the money and ambition to bring this beauty back to life.

- sojourner

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Linda Carraway said...

When I first saw the video of this derelict home, a huge wave of sadness hit me. I lived and grew up in the Springfield area 1941-1966, and this house always had a special pull on my young girl's heart. I would pretend that I lived in that house in the 1800s, loving the tall columns and the ceiling-to-floor windows. My mother and I would drive by it every Thursday afternoon on our weekly shopping trip into downtown Springfield.
Whatever happened to Maple St.? It was one of the most beautiful streets in Springfield. How could the city/preservation society let it deteriorate so badly?
I think its demise must have begun before I left Western MA, with the
tearing down of the gorgeous building that housed the Springfield Men's Club; it was removed to make room for the ugly southern extension of Dwight St.
Sad. Has this house been sold yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home