Wednesday, February 07, 2007

R.I.P. FHM (US) 2000 - 2007

A sad day in the world of Mandom came with my latest - and apparently last - delivery of For Him Magazine (FHM). The magazine's U.S. edition caved in and announced its demise this past December. All good things must eventually come to an end, so it is that one of my favorite male chauvinist magazines has passed into history. According to the obituary report, when trouble loomed for the whole girly-mag market, FHM shifted into "low" gear and opted for ever-risque covers and photo spreads, while its chief rivals moved to go more upscale.

And so never again will my eyes be blessed with page after page of barely-clothed young women from this fine rag. (Of course, there's always the international online edition!) Never again will I be witness to bad jokes, suspect sex advice, and terrible food reviews in quite the same way that FHM served them up to me.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are others, to be sure. Maxim and Stuff - the rivals that chose a more successful marketing strategy - will eagerly take up the void. And of course there's always Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler, where the chicks go all the way. But each time one of Our gender-biased magazines goes under, I can't help but get a little teary-eyed.

So it is with a heavy, grieving heart (among other parts of my anatomy) that I bid farewell to FHM.....


Well, I'm off to the Newstand to pick up the latest Stuff. - Later!


* *




|| Missing Persons in New England ||


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home